Friday, February 6, 2009

FIREPROOF, Say "I DO".... all over AGAIN!



So yesterday one of my girlfriends called me up and told me about this movie and that my husband and I HAD to sit down to watch it. Later in the evening I went over to her house to pick it up. I had no idea what the movie was even about. I got back home, fed my family and put the kids to bed. I asked my husband if he wanted to watch the movie and he said "sure". This movie IS a low budget film, but the message is beyond terrific.

The story concerns a firefighter named Caleb Holt (Kirk Cameron) whose wife of seven years, Catherine (Erin Bethea), wants a divorce. Caleb is ready to give up on the marriage altogether, but his father, John (Harris Malcom), gives him a book called The Love Dare and challenges him to follow its steps before throwing in the towel. Since Fireproof has been endorsed by a plethora of marriage ministries, you can pretty much guess how things will turn out. But the Kendricks earn their resolution this time; instead of dropping miracles and messages from God on their characters, they keep the story focused on the Holts and driven by the choices that the Holts make. Put simply, it no longer feels like the filmmakers are "cheating."

The first half-hour or so feels uneven, like the filmmakers were trying to find the right tone. Once the set-up is out of the way, however, the film settles into a nice mix of moral lessons. It definitely put perspective on my husbands and I marriage. Life is what you make it and without putting GOD center of your world, you essentially have nothing including happiness. Marriage is FOR SURE something two people have to work very hard at.

My husband and I have been thru alot of trying times including coming close to divorce in the past. Since we have became Christians and allowed him to enter our home.... all the chaos, tempers, selfishness... has come to a hult. We compliment one another now, and even though everyday is alot of work, I look forward to being that submissive wife and pleasing my husband. The end results show up in how our Children will be as adults and in marriages of their own. Little reminders like this movie move me and remind me that everyday is a lesson and WORK!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your life with me again. We've been blessed in our marriage, but even with faith there are ups and downs, even small things can seem serious at times.
I really want to rent this DVD, soon I promise.