Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Family Values?

Do people have a sense of "Family Values" anymore these days? This subject is very touchy with most people, and I just don't understand that.

For century's family values have been the backbone of America . It was in keeping our families strong that we kept our country strong. Today, we have ever-eroding families and an ever eroding country. Are the two linked? I believe they are.
Family has changed exponentially. No longer black and white, the definitions of what makes "family" have changed. Along with that change, or maybe because of it, our morals have also gone into a decline.
it's easier for people to divorce, people can walk away for any reason at all, and so many of them do. Marriage is hard. I know this by experience, but so many people lose out on that love that comes after weathering the storms together because they can and do give up too easily when the storms rage.
Many think nothing of moving in together before marriage and having children before marriage. I am guilty for that! In some ways this is still a "family", but the lack of moral restraint has changed into more of something resembling a family than an actual family. There is no commitment. There is no moral compunction. There are no guidelines to help them understand why this damages our society.
As the homosexual agenda makes headway, we also face the idea of families that have two dads or two moms. For some of us, this is also a moral decline. Some of society no longer sees marriage and one man and one woman; they have embraced the homosexual relationship as "normal", thus sending the family into further tailspin.
I know this is a soar subject for some, but it's the truth. I don't look down or judge each person for who they are. God would not want me to do that. I have had alot of time to ponder on this subject for quite some time as it has been on my mind. I am HUGE on family. I grew up in a upper to middle class home with pretty much anything I ever wanted. I was taught morals and values but one thing that always lacked was the sense of "Family". I have 3 other siblings and never knew 2 of them. I grew up not knowing my extended family (i.e. Aunts, Uncles, Cousins etc..)I remember in my younger years, always wishing for that "Big" holiday feast, but to my dismay... never happened. So now grown, I realize just how short life really is and how essential having family present with good relationships plays a Vital roll in our lives. I try to teach my children morals and values and the importance of family. You know the saying... "blood is thicker than water". Well, it's exactly right. When things go wrong in our lives and we have no one else to turn to, we should be able to go right to our family. In some cases, like myself, can't. So I try and surround my children with Aunts, Uncles, Nieces, Nephews, their extended family and I just feel it plays such a vital role in the way children are today.
It's sad to know that not everyone in my family have these same feelings. Someday, maybe Ill come to understand why. Life definitely is way to short to hold grudges. This world would be a better place if everyone put family first and set values high.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

My family went through some changes too. Some of which we're still trying to figure out and work through. These are interesting times, I often wonder what the end result will be and if we'll be here to see it.

I get the extremes on both sides telling me their opinions. Family though, is #1 in my book.

Unknown said...

We are all about family Sheri. I do believe most families make the most of what they have.
I am blessed to have what I do.