Friday, December 12, 2008

Changeling.... A boy gone, a mother scorned


So one of my good friends and I went to watch this film lastnight at the theatres. I had never heard of such movie until she told me about it. I watched clips of it here on the internet. It looked very compelling, so we decided to go and check it out. I needed a break and it was the BEST excuse ever to get out of the house. Having no clue about what the film entailed, I was pretty excited for it to start. I always prefer the "based on a true story" films over any other.


In March 1928, Christine, a single mother living in Los Angeles, returns home from her shift supervising a busy switchboard to find that her young son, Walter (Gattlin Griffith), is missing. The initial response of the Los Angeles Police Department is casual and condescending, which turns out to be a chilly foretaste of worse treatment to follow. After a few months, with great fanfare and press coverage, the city’s hatchet-faced police chief (Colm Feore) stages a reunion between Christine and a boy who is evidently not Walter. When Christine points this out, she is treated first as a hysterical, traumatized woman and then as a lunatic and a threat to public order. She is ignored, smeared in the papers and then locked away in a mental hospital, Not given the right to speak her heart, the story goes on with her giving everything she has in her to gain her son back.


I will go no further on revealing the whole story line. This movie was probably one of the best I have seen in a long time. I came home lastnight after the movie and held my son and didn't want to let him go.


Who else has seen this movie? Tell me what you thought. I would love to hear.

No comments: